Puyallup Linkages, early learning providers, and families will collaborate to ensure that each child is ready for successful learning experiences.
Kindergarten Readiness is an initiative focused on helping families prepare children to enter public schools. The Puyallup Linkages initiative was established in 2007 to improve collaboration between school district staff and the early learning community. Since that time, the Puyallup Linkages steering committee has met and developed goals to promote student success and has also sponsored numerous events for our early learning and childcare providers. Puyallup Linkages is a member of Pierce County Linkages.
READY! for Kindergarten classes
READY! for Kindergarten classes encourage parents to talk, sing, read and play with their child in simple ways that foster essential pre-literacy, pre-math and social-emotional skills. Age-appropriate activities are designed to begin at birth and continue through age five. The curriculum is bases on current research and replicates what parents and educators of successful students have done for years. You, the parent, are your child's most powerful teacher. With READY! for Kindergarten you plant the seeds for success in school and a lifelong love of learning for your child.
The Ready! for Kindergarten classes are for parents to attend to receive tools and learn skills to help their child be READY for kindergarten. There are 3 classes in a set - one in the Fall, one in the Winter and one in the Spring. When you sign up for a set, you are required to attend all 3 classes, as the next class builds upon what is learned in the previous classes.
READY! FOR KINDERGARTEN CLASSES - May 2017 - CLICK ON THIS LINK TO SIGN UP FOR CLASSES.
¡LISTO! PARA CLASES Infantes - ESPAÑOL 2016-2017 - Haga clic en este enlace para inscribirse para las clases.
Kindergarten Readiness Skills
Parents often wonder what a typical child should know by the time he or she starts kindergarten. There are readiness skills called Kindergarten Targets. Children who are taught these skills before they start kindergarten are better prepared to succeed in school.
Language and literacy
- Speaks in complete sentences
- Says the sounds of 12-15 letters, including those in the child’s first name
- Prints first name using uppercase and lowercase letters
- Identifies the beginning sounds of words
- Sings or chants ABC and number songs while pointing to letters and numbers
- Counts in order from 1 to 20
- Matches number shapes from 1 to 12
- Knows 12 colors: red, blue, yellow, green, orange, purple, brown, black, white, grey, pink, and light blue
- Names and sorts objects by color, shape, and size
- Understands concepts such as greater than, less than, and equal to
Social and emotional
- Settles into new groups or situations with minimal stress and plays cooperatively with two or more peers
- Concentrates on a task for at least five minutes
- Follows simple directions
- Shows kindness and concern for others
Reading aloud 20 minutes a day helps a child master these skills.
Kindergarten registration information and instructions:
Community resource links
Children’s Museum of Tacoma
Pierce County Library
Washington Department of Early Learning
Getting School Ready
For more information
Contact Dana Harris at (253) 840-8936 for more information about kindergarten readiness or Puyallup Linkages