Employee - Work Injury and Compensation FAQs
Q. If I choose to not use my sick leave or any other leave, do I have this option?

A. Yes, the only time an employee has an option in reserving sick leave during an illness or recovery, is during a work injury recovery. All employees who have filed a work injury claim, should complete a time loss election form and choose option #1. This will stop the your sick leave and revert to unpaid time while you continue your recovery.   

Q. Can I supplement my time loss payment with vacation, comp, personal or sick leave?  

A. Yes, any employee may choose to supplement their time loss payments with available leave accrual. If you choose to supplement your time loss with vacation, comp, personal or sick leave you should expect to use 40% of your leave. The other 60% of your wages will come from time loss. Any employee who wishes to elect for this option should complete the time loss election form and choose option #2.

Q. If I am injured on the job, can I use my leave accrual and receive time loss? 

A. All employees who are injured on the job have a choice on how to use their leave, while missing days due to recovery. If employees choose to use sick leave for missed days, you will receive will receive the full value of the leave in addition to the time-loss payment. All employees who wish to use their leave accrual ND receive time loss payments should complete the time loss election form and choose option #3.

Q. If Puget Sound Workers' Trust requires me to attend an Independent Medical Exam, am I required to use my sick leave?

A. No, If you have been asked to attend an Independent Medical Exam by Puget Sound Workers' Trust, please notify the HR/Return to Work Coordinator with notification of this appointment. The District will not charge your sick leave for time away for this purpose.

Q. If I am cleared by my doctor to return to work, but I have work restrictions, what should I do?

A. If you have been cleared by your doctor to return to work with restrictions, you should be in immediate contact with your HR/Return to Work Coordinator to set up a meeting and discuss return to work options.


Please also visit the Puget Sound Workers' Trust FAQ page for additional questions and answers regarding work injury claims.