Work Injury and Compensation FAQs
Q. If I choose to not use my sick leave or any other leave, do I have this option?

A. Yes, the only time an employee has an option in reserving sick leave during an illness or recovery, is during a work injury recovery. All employees who have filed a work injury claim, should complete a time loss election form and choose option #1. This will stop the application of sick leave and will result in unpaid time during the recovery.  

Q. If I use my sick leave and receive time loss payments, can I buy back my sick leave later?

A. Yes, any employee may participate in sick leave buy back, when sick leave is used for the purpose of recovery from a work injury. The payroll department is copied on time loss payments. When this information is received from Puget Sound Workers' Trust, the payroll department will calculate the number of sick leave hours that can be bought back with your time loss payment. The buy back will occur on the following payroll and will result in a deduction from your district paycheck and reimbursement, then reimbursed to your sick leave balance. Employees who wish to elect for sick leave buy back should complete the time loss election form and choose option #2. The sick leave accrual is the only leave you may buy back during this time.

Q. If I am injured on the job, do I have to use my sick leave for missed days of work?

A. All employees who are injured on the job have a choice on how to use their leave, while missing days due to recovery. If employees choose to use sick leave for missed days, you will receive will receive the full value of the leave in addition to the time-loss payment. All employees who wish to use their sick leave AND receive time loss payments should complete the time loss election form and choose option #3.

Q. If Puget Sound Workers' Trust requires me to attend an Independent Medical Exam, am I required to use my sick leave?

A. No, If you have been asked to attend an Independent Medical Exam by Puget Sound Workers' Trust, please notify the Human Resources Leave and Accommodation Coordinator with notification of this appointment. The District will not charge your sick leave for time away for this purpose.

Q. If I am cleared by my doctor to return to work, but I have work restrictions, what should I do?

A. If you have been cleared by your doctor to return to work with restrictions, you should follow the instructions regarding our accommodations process. 

Please also visit the Puget Sound Workers' Trust FAQ page for additional questions and answers regarding work injury claims.