bus, van, or automobile owned and operated by the Puyallup School District is
considered school district property and as such is an extension of the
school or classroom. All violations of district, bus, and/or school
rules committed as a passenger or at a district bus stop may result in
loss of bus riding privileges and other more severe disciplinary
measures as determined by the school administrator.
Students who have the opportunity to ride district school buses may do so as long as they display behavior that is
reasonable and safe. Choosing to follow unacceptable behavior will
result in loss of bus riding privileges. The bus driver is responsible
for the safety and discipline of students on the bus. The building
principal and/or school security is available when a situation is beyond
the control of the driver. A suspension of bus riding privileges
applies to all buses unless otherwise designated by the transportation upervisor and/or his designee
Please take time to review the school bus
rules and regulations with your children. If you have any questions,
please do not hesitate to call the Transportation Department at (253) 841-8775.
1. The driver is in full charge of the bus and passengers at all times.
2. Students shall give their correct name promptly and willingly when asked by the bus driver and/or district administrator. Failure to do so shall result in exclusion of riding privileges.
3. No weapons of any type shall be allowed on the bus! This includes toys that are made to look like a weapon. Students that bring weapons, real or not, shall be excluded from the bus for up to 90 school days and the appropriate law enforcement agency will be notified.
4. Any threat (joking or not) to use guns, knives, bombs or any similar devices shall result in exclusion from the bus for up to 90 school days and the appropriate law enforcement agency will be notified.
5. Any ongoing bullying, threatening and/or harassment of students, or the bus driver, shall result in exclusion from the bus for up to 90 school days.
6. Illegal drugs and/or stimulants are not permitted on the bus. Students that bring illegal drugs and/or stimulants shall be excluded from the bus for up to 90 school days.
7. Physical or verbal assault directed at the school bus driver shall result in exclusion from bus riding privileges for up to 90 school days. Assault against a public official is a felony.
8. All participants engaged in fighting shall be excluded from bus riding privileges for a minimum of (5) days.
9. Students will not smoke or be in possession of any tobacco products on the bus. Possession of tobacco products on the bus shall result in exclusion of riding privileges for a minimum of (5) days.
10. Lewd, vulgar, obscene, rude, profane language, sexually obscene behavior, obscene gestures, obscene materials of any type on the bus shall result in exclusion of riding privileges for up to 90 school days. Appropriate law enforcement agencies will be notified depending on behavior and material.
11. Vandalism shall result in exclusion of bus riding privileges for up to 90 school days, plus reimbursement by the student, parent, and/or guardian for the damage to the bus.
12. Theft of any property shall result in exclusion of bus riding privileges for up to 90 school days, plus any applicable law enforcement action.
13. Lighting matches or lighters and/or other sparking devices on the bus shall result in a minimum of (5) day exclusion of bus riding privileges.
14. The use of any laser device on the bus shall result in a minimum of (5) day exclusion of bus riding privileges.
15. Skate boards, roller blades, roller skates, skis, ski poles, ski boards, breakable containers, etc. and/or any items that may cause injury to others are strictly prohibited from the bus.
16. No animal, reptile, fish or fowl is permitted on the bus except “seeing-eye dogs”.
17. Bus aisles are to be kept clear at all times. All materials will be stowed under the seat, and/or carried on the student’s lap.
18. Band instruments that will be allowed on the bus are those that are small enough to be held in the student’s lap or under a seat. Instruments may not be in the aisle or take the space of a student.
19. Quiet conversation will be permitted to your immediate neighbor only. (Classroom Conduct)
20. Disruptive conduct will not be permitted. (Classroom Conduct)
21. Aggressive play will not be permitted. (Classroom Conduct)
22. Eating, drinking, and gum chewing will not be permitted. (Approved exceptions are field trips)
23. Sitting improperly. Students are to remain seated while the bus is in motion and face forward. Student may be given an assigned seat.
24. Students are to remain seated and not change seats without driver permission. Students shall refrain from pushing and shoving students while on or near the bus.
25. Improper language is not acceptable. Improper language means: Any language that is not appropriate in the classroom is not appropriate on the bus.
26. Tampering with any bus controls or equipment is prohibited.
27. Bus windows are to be left closed unless the driver grants permission to open them. Windows will only be opened three notches. Students shall not extend head, hands, or arms out of the bus windows. Students shall not throw anything out of bus windows.
28. Students are responsible for keeping the bus clean.
29. Approved bus passes are required prior to being allowed to:
a) Leave the bus except at the student’s regular bus stop;
b) Ride a bus other than the one the student is assigned;
c) All bus passes are subject to available space.
30. Students shall respect private property at bus stops.
31. In the event of any emergency, students shall follow emergency exit procedures.
32. Spitting on the bus and/or out of the bus window shall result in exclusion of riding privileges for a minimum of five days.
33. Students must leave home early enough to arrive at the bus stop five minutes before the bus is due, but no earlier than five minutes.
34. Students are to remain at a safe distance from the bus until it is completely stopped at least six feet. Playing in the roadway is not acceptable.
35. Students shall not cross the roadway until the driver has given consent. Students must cross only in front of the bus, never behind the bus. When loading or leaving the bus students must maintain order. Students shall be in view of the driver at all times.